Exceptional care, state-of-the-art technology
If you or someone you love has been diagnosed with cancer, you want to make the right decisions right away. HackensackUMC Mountainside offers a full range of oncology services and access to promising clinical trials, all in a program that puts leading research into action. From advanced technology to the
experienced, highly-trained specialists who put state-of-the-art techniques to work for you, the best in today's cancer care can be found in your own community: the HackensackUMC Mountainside Cancer Center.
A team-oriented approach focused on innovative techniques
The HackensackUMC Mountainside Cancer Center team is experienced, compassionate and committed to providing superior care. We offer:
- Cancer Committee: A weekly collaborative conference of the hospital’s cancer care specialists to determine the best course of action for your cancer treatment.
- Medical, surgical and radiation oncology: the region’s best and brightest, on your side.
- Infusion services: Comfort and convenience, for chemotherapy and non-chemo treatment.
- Lymphedema program: Approximately one-third of women treated for breast cancer develop some degree of lymphedema in the arm of the affected side. We can help.
- Genetic counseling: Get the information you need from our experts.
- Clinical research: We can help provide access to promising clinical trials.
- Cancer registry: Help us track, report and prevent cancer.
- Support before, during and after, from specialized social workers.
- Community outreach programs. We're your neighbors, and we want to get the word out to detect, fight and beat cancer.
The HackensackUMC Mountainside Cancer Center commitment
We offer caring, personalized service from the start, superior clinical care, access to the best surgeons and techniques for healing, advanced diagnostic and treatment technologies and a complete continuum of care. This includes specialized clinical services, rehabilitative care and emotional support for the patient and their families.
We offer a complete menu of services – diagnoses, treatment, wellness, free screenings, counseling, aftercare and more - in a single convenient location. Our experts treat a variety of cancers including lymphomas, breast, colon, lung, pancreatic and prostate cancer.
Commended by the U.S. Commission on Cancer and highly ranked by the N.J. Department of Health
The HackensackUMC Mountainside Cancer Center is ranked in the top third of the 51 approved programs in New Jersey. It has received commendations for its work in prevention, early detection, outcomes analysis, data quality, staff education, patients' guidelines and cancer program improvements. We have also been awarded a three-year accreditation, with commendation, from the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer. Only one in four hospitals that treats cancer patients receives this special approval. You can count on:
- Quality care close to home.
- State-of-the-art services and technology.
- A multi-specialty team approach to coordinate the best treatment options available.
- Compassionate support.
- Ongoing monitoring and improvement of care.
- Information about ongoing clinical trials and new treatment options.
All the services and skills needed for healing
HackensackUMC Mountainside's Infusion Center is one of the most popular in the area because of its comfort and the expertise of its staff. They will treat approximately 5,000 chemotherapy and non-chemotherapy patients. Our team includes:
- Board-certified oncologists, radiologists, radiation oncologists and surgeons.
- Highly skilled and compassionate certified oncology and infusion nurses.
- Pharmacists with board certification in oncology and pharmacotherapy.
- Registered, certified radiology technicians and laboratory professionals.
- Knowledgeable registered dietitians.
- Licensed clinical social workers.
- Volunteers, some of whom have personally experienced the fight against cancer.
As our patient, you will benefit from access to the latest technologies to provide the most accurate
diagnosis and staging of your cancer. You’ll find our approach to diagnosis and treatment very refreshing - we put you in control. Once we evaluate the extent of your condition, we explain our findings to you in a clear and simple manner. Then we describe all your treatment options, including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or any combination of these, and let you decide how to proceed.
The HackensackUMC Mountainside Cancer Center uses the following tools to diagnose and monitor different types of cancers:
- PET/CT Scan: hybrid, noninvasive scanning device that allows radiologists to pinpoint the location of tumors, nodules and other abnormal tissue.
- MRI: magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) detects cancer in many places of the body.
- Digital Mammography: detects small cancers of the breast before they can be felt on physical examination.
- Ultrasound: evaluates breast abnormalities by revealing information about the shape, texture, and composition of tumors and cysts.
- Nuclear Medicine: provides unique information about both the structure and the function of major organ systems within the body.
- Stereotactic Breast Biopsy: enables physicians to obtain breast tissue for a definitive diagnosis- without surgery.
- Mammotome Breast Biopsy: a unique device that enables physicians to obtain the correct amount of breast tissue for a definitive diagnosis – without surgery, and with only a local anesthetic.
- Pathology: board-certified pathologists work with surgeons during and after surgery to analyze tissue in order to detect malignancies.