Learn from the best - and live near New York City
The residency programs at HackensackUMC Mountainside enable you to obtain your training at a hospital known for its comprehensive continuum of care to local communities while living less than 15 miles from Manhattan. We’re here to support you and
We offer a progressive atmosphere, superior training and advanced technology – including a state-of-the-art Picture Archiving Communications System (PACS); an Electronic Medication Administration Record system (e-MAR); and a system for managing electronic medical records.
We know you want to make a difference. Join us and participate in community outreach programs in nearby settings.
Train in any of the following areas:
One of America’s safest hospitals
Cited as one of America’s safest hospitals by Forbes.com for two years in a row, HackensackUMC Mountainside is also home to more than 125 of the best physicians and dentists in the state, according to New Jersey Monthly.
As a clinical affiliate of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey – New Jersey Medical School, HackensackUMC Mountainside values its commitment to medical education. The hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations and partners with nearby hospitals to offer rotations in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. HackensackUMC Mountainside is also one of a select group of community hospitals in New Jersey certified to perform emergency angioplasty.
As evidence of our success, last year, hospital admissions increased by 5%, outpatient surgeries by 14% and infant births by 46%.
We’re on the move
Upcoming projects include two hyperbaric wound care chambers, a perinatal services unit for the diagnosis and treatment of “at risk” pregnancies to complement a recently established neonatal services unit; expansion of our busy Dialysis Center; and creation of a Gero-Psychiatric program to address the needs of elderly patients with diseases that result in dementia and cognitive impairment.
Combining a history of excellence and forward thinking
A hospital with a history of more than a century of medical expertise, we are patient-focused, community oriented, conveniently located and equipped with technology that rivals the nation’s most prestigious hospitals. With 365 beds, 820,000 square feet in total, 12,000 in-patient admissions and close to 80,000 outpatient visits annually, HackensackUMC Mountainside has come a long way since its founding in 1891.
Montclair, NJ: A special community with many styles
Located just a short ride away from New York City, our hospital is located in Montclair, NJ, a charming suburban family-centered town. The area is considered a haven for artists and writers. Whether you’re interested in easy access to Manhattan without the expense of living there, arts and entertainment, great coffee shops and restaurants, a superior school system, relaxing in one of the many nearby parks or a Yankees game, Montclair offers fun and sophistication at a great price. In fact, Montclair and the surrounding communities are such a great place to live and work that many of our residents decide to stay.
How to get to HackensackUMC Mountainside
Click here for Directions
Things to do in the Montclair and New York areas
For suggestions on things to do in New Jersey and New York City, click here
Why HackensackUMC Mountainside for your residency?
- A Cardiac Rehabilitation/complete fitness center open to patients, the community and residents
- A state-of-the-art, dual-source CT scanner. HackensackUMC Mountainside is one of just a few hospitals statewide with one of these high-tech, non-invasive diagnostic tools. This is in addition to extensive radiological services.
- A heart failure center
- Primary Stroke Center certification by the NJ Department of Health and Human Services
- A chronic renal dialysis center
- Behavioral health and psychiatric services
- Center for Sleep Medicine
- Center of Excellence certification for our Bariatric program
- A Wound Care program with new hyperbaric chamber
- Highly successful Hospitalist and Intensivist programs
- A comprehensive emergency services department with more than 31,000 visits a year
- A spine program
- Diabetic education
- Primary care
- Robotic Surgery
Residency options and opportunities
As a resident at HackensackUMC Mountainside, you will have access to:
- The Health Sciences Library: HackensackUMC Mountainside Medical Library provides timely and easy access to quality knowledge-based information. The library is staffed Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., closed on weekends and major holidays; access to the library is available 24/7 to authorized personnel through the hospital ID badges. The library has a collection of books and journals that support clinical information needs and education. Materials not available can be requested through interlibrary loan. A number of electronic databases are available for use in the hospital through IP validation; some could be available remotely and require an ID and password that can be requested from the library. Computerized literature searches, reference service, interlibrary loan, and photocopying are services provided by the library as well. There are a number of computers available for use; all computers have access to Microsoft Office, the hospital intranet, the internet and the library databases and online catalog. Each person needs to have their own login information to be able to use the library computers.
- Conferences: Attend lectures, grand rounds, presentations and departmental and interdepartmental conferences.
- Electives: Take advantage of numerous electives and office preceptorships.
- Housing options: The surrounding communities offer many options, from single-family homes to condominiums and apartments.
- On-site childcare at Small Wonders Day Care Center.
A member of the LHP Health Systems family
On February 1, Montclair Health System, LLC, a joint venture of LHP Hospital Group, Inc
. and Hackensack University Medical Center
, initiated the state government process required to acquire Mountainside Hospital.
HackensackUMC Mountainside is unique among New Jersey hospitals. While many others are seeking new owners because their futures remain uncertain, one of the nation’s most prestigious hospitals, Hackensack University Medical Center and LHP Hospital Group, Inc., one of the nation’s most innovative capital and healthcare management firms chose to affiliate with Mountainside because of its strength and stability. Read more about this joint venture here
For more information on selecting your residency program check out the American Medical Association