Breast milk is the optimal nutrition for newborns. That's why it's the goal of our Breastfeeding Support Program to promote, protect and support breastfeeding. Research shows that properly designed and implemented breastfeeding policies in hospitals lead to improved health in babies. It's no accident that HackensackUMC Mountainside rates high in the region and in the entire state for the rate of exclusive breastfeeding – a measurement of the percentage of newborns exclusively breastfeeding on discharge from the hospital.
One reason HackensackUMC Mountainside's breastfeeding program is so successful is that it was established by RNs and certified lactation consultants with more than 40 years' experience in working with moms and newborns. Another reason is that the program is designed with success in mind. Breastfeeding assistance is offered to mothers as soon after delivery as possible - usually within the first 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- New mothers also get individual plans of care
- Even after discharge, mothers are encouraged to call us at any time with questions.
- Fee-for-service office visits are also available after discharge.
- We offer nursing bra fittings, breast pump rentals, follow-up visits by appointment, and breastfeeding classes.
- Weekly support group (Every Wednesday at 1pm in the OB Solarium)
For more information, please contact Parent Education at 973-429-6264.